Those who work in Thailand require a Non-Immigrant Visa ”B” or Business Visa, and must apply for a work permit. Otherwise, you will not be able to work in Thailand.
On this page
Should MICE Travellers require work permit for Thailand entry?
Did you know that some MICE activities do not require a work permit? There are seven activities that do not fall under the Working of Aliens Act, which do not require a work permit and can just apply for a visa to Thailand.
Non-immigrant Visa ‘B’ Application (in case of staying over 90 days)
- Foreigners submit employment contract to the Royal Thai Embassy in their country of residence. Once the visa has been obtained, they can then travel to Thailand to submit Form WP.1
- Employers submit Form WP.3 on behalf of foreigners and send the documents to foreigners so they can submit to the Royal Thai Embassy in their country of residence. Foreigners must travel to Thailand within 30 days of receiving the documents.
- If foreigners already have Residence Certificate and Alien Registration Book, they can proceed to submit Form WP.1 without applying for visa.
- Work Permit extension must be done at Immigration Office before submitting Form WP.5 and it must be done before Work Permit expires
- If there is a change of employer/business, foreigners must notify Immigration Office of such change and request for a 7-day extension to legally stay in Thailand. Otherwise, foreigners can leave the Kingdom to apply for a new Non-immigrant Visa B from a Royal Thai Embassy and apply for a new work permit using Form WP.1 in order to work with the new employer before their visa expires.
- Form WP.10 can be submitted for an urgent Work Permit in case of urgent work that lasts no longer than 15 days. The work must be completed within the mentioned timeframe as this type of permit cannot be extended.
Submission of WP 3 Form to apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa Type “B” (for 90 days stay and above)
The employer submits a WP 3 Form and sends the documents to the foreign employee to apply for a visa at the Thai embassy in their country of residence. The employee must travel to Thailand within 30 days from the date of receipt of the document.
Filing WP 1 Form (Work Permit)
Foreign employee submits an employment contract to the Thai embassy in their country of residence. After receiving the visa, he/she must come to Thailand to apply for a WP 1 certificate.
- If a foreigner already has a residence certificate and a foreigner’s identification card, he/she can apply for a WP 1 certificate without a visa.
- The foreign employee must apply for a WP 1 certificate within 90 days after arriving in Thailand.
1. Application form for WP 1.
2. Three pieces of 3×4 cm photograph (taken within six months, not a digital/Polaroid photo).
3. Employment Certificate
4. Copy of passport
5. Copy of educational evidence and proof of employment
6. Copy of professional license (if required)
7. Medical certificate (not more than six months)
8. Map of the location of the office establishment
9. Power of attorney from a foreigner affixed with 10 baht duty stamp and a copy of the authorized representative’s identification card (If foreigner could not file the document in person)
10. Power of attorney from employer affixed with 10 baht duty stamp and a copy of the employer’s and attorney’s ID card
|Filing An Application||THB 100 each|
|(a) a license that is less than three months.||THB 750 each|
|(b) a license that is more than three months but not exceeding six months.||THB 1,500 each|
|(c) a license that is more than six months but not exceeding one year.||THB 3,000 each|
|License Renewal or Extension of Working Period|
|(a) License renewal or extension of working period of less than three month||THB 750 each|
|(b) A license renewal or extension of a working period of more than three months but not exceeding six months.||THB 750 each|
|(c) a license renewal or extension of a working period of more than six months |
but not exceeding one year.
|THB 3,000 each|
|(4) A Substitute Permit||THB 500 each|
|(5) Permission to amend job descriptions||THB 1,000 each|
|(6) Permission to amend employer details||THB 3,000 each|
|(7) Permission to amend place of work||THB 1,000 each|
|(8) Permission to amend terms of license||THB 150 each|
Work Permit Renewal
Application for a Work Permit from the Board of Investment (BOI)
Foreigners or investors traveling to Thailand can apply for a work permit from the BOI. There are two types of services, work permits for the BOI promoted companies and for non-BOI companies.
Application for a Work Permit for a BOI Promoted Company
To apply for Visa and Work Permit through the Single Window, an online platform, the company must receive the User ID and Password within one business day. After registration, the user will be provided with the Username and Password. If the company already has an e-Expert ID, the company can log in with this ID instantly.
Application for a Non-BOI Work Permit
For more information
The One-Stop Service Center
Chumchuri square18th Floor 254 Phayathai Rd, Pathum Wan, Pathum Wan District, Bangkok 10330
Tel. +66 2209 1100 Fax +66 2209 1199