A case study of trade facilitation and service in the MICE industry at The Grand Metalex 2016 on 23-26 November 2016 at the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Center (BITEC). This exhibition showcases technology, metal, machinery, and spare parts. The event area is 64,000 square meters, with various technology brands from 3,300 brands and over 100,000 exhibitors for entrepreneurs to discuss and negotiate trade, obstacles, and challenges.
Obstacles and Challenges
Exhibition of technology, metal, machinery, and spare parts products. This event is related to government agencies, namely, the Customs Department or the Department of Industrial Works. Each agency has different rules that apply to each product causing unclear and many procedures for exhibitors.
During the event, a large number of machines must be transported and installed in the event. It had a massive impact on traffic both inside and outside the venue.
- TCEB has established a JOC (Joint Operating Committee) to enable collaboration between the public and private sectors to reduce obstacles and create smooth operations in various fields. It consists of the following departments:
- Relevant government agencies, namely, the Customs Department, the Department of Highways, the Bangkok Department of Industrial Works, Metropolitan Police Headquarters, Thai Industrial Standards, the Institute Office of Transport, The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning, and TCEB
- Relevant private agencies, e.g., BITEC Exhibition and Convention Center (Representative of venue owner), Reed Tradex Company Limited (Organizer), Bangkok Expressway and Metro Company Limited, Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited, and All Thai Taxi Company Limited.
- Applying for permission to import machinery/spare parts: The Customs Department has guidelines for facilitating the exemption of import duties and reduction of customs clearance, making it easier for exhibitors to import their products and save time.
- An MOU was signed between the relevant parties to arrange 50 taxis and officers to facilitate the exhibitors.
Successful Outcomes from Event Facilitations
- The Customs Department and operators understand each other. The process of importing goods is smooth and swift.
- Organizers and the convention, and exhibition center have a more apparent work approach.
- Entrepreneurs have details and contact numbers of government agencies directly responsible for various matters.
- Advance coordination makes it possible to manage various obstacles and complete the task before the due date.
Source: EASE of DOING BUSINESS Thailand MICE Facilitation Report
Was this article helpful?