JOC – Joint Operating Committee or the “Government Coordinating Sub-Committee” was established to facilitate trade and services in the MICE industry” as a mechanism for discussion, supporting, solving, or reducing obstacles that arise during the operation of any events in the MICE industry, from the preparatory work to the end.
- JOC is a joint field working group at the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (Public Organisation) that was established during the MICE event to act as a link for collaboration between the public and private sectors.
- Its objective is to reduce obstacles in the pre-event process from the beginning until the end of the event. The JOC working group consists of various departments, both the public and private sectors.
- Government agencies related to the MICE industry are the Customs Department, the Consular Affairs, the Department of Employment, the Department of Highways, the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Headquarters, the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning, the Department of Industrial Works, Food and Drug Administration, the Department of International Trade Promotion, the Department of Foreign Trade, the Department of Agriculture, the Excise Department, the Department of Livestock Development, the Department of Fisheries, the Office of Industrial Product Standards, etc.
- Private sector entities related to the MICE industry are organizers, venue owners, international freight forwarding companies, mass transit companies, hotels, brokerage firms, the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Center (BITEC), Exhibition and Convention Center, IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, Bangkok Expressway and Metro Company Limited, Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited, All Thai Taxi Company Limited, etc.
- One of the obstacles in the MICE industry is that it is a business that involves complex regulations and a large number of government agencies. Business operators/organizers, therefore, must have all-in-one accessible knowledge or resources.
- JOC facilitates coordination by having relevant parties come together and create a common understanding to make government agencies and entrepreneurs understand each other and make the operation go smoothly and swiftly.
- Meetings are held to discuss and exchange problems, help each other solve problems, reduce obstacles, and find ways to coordinate with effective communication. This is how JOC creates a good relationship between the government and the private sector.
- The results of the past operations have greatly benefited the Thai MICE industry, helped reduce obstacles that have been a problem for a long time, and made various events a great success.
- JOC received an excellent response from the private sector regarding dedication and benefits to the MICE industry.
Source: EASE of DOING BUSINESS Thailand MICE Facilitation Report
Was this article helpful?